Friday, April 15, 2011

Wilderness Journey...

I don't have long to write today, but I wanted to share a thought out of a study (recommended by a sweet friend/co-worker) I've been doing called "One in a Million" by Priscilla Shirer. The study is on the Israelites journey to the promised land and, in turn, relates back to our personal journeys to our own promised land. Here is what she said on Week Two, Day One...

"When lifted against the backdrop of our own standards, thoughts, and expectations, the road God chooses for us is often not the road we might expect. He often chooses a wilderness journey for us to give us an opportunity to experience Him in a way we might miss in a place of ease and convenience." 

God's goal is to make us more dependent on Him...to deepen our relationship with Himself...so that when we make it to our "promised land" (whatever that may be for each of us) we will have a rich faith and a deeper joy...and know Him in a way that was foreign to us before. I am thanking God for this wilderness He has led Warren and I to...Like the Israelites, I don't understand why our road to parenthood could not be a little easier, less bumpy, not as disappointing...but, also like the Israelites, I have no clue what God might be protecting us from and what He is preparing us for...So, I must trust in the middle of what I cannot see...I must be content where He has us...

I needed to be reminded of this verse Pricilla shared today in the study...

"The mind of man plans his way, But the Lord directs his steps." Proverbs 16:9

My prayer is that I will get out of God's way...that I would be willing to allow Him to direct my steps... even if I can't see the final destination.

4 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great book. I'm going to check it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome devotional! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Priscilla Shirer's studies! And it's so true~ my faith is so much stronger now than it would have been if we'd gotten pregnant as soon as we started trying 4 years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We just finished that one a few weeks ago. I LOVED it!!! So glad you are doing it. God taught me so much through it. Can't wait to see you in your Promised Land!

    ReplyDelete