Sunday, April 10, 2011

birthday road trip...

Our two-fold road trip (to spend time with friends/celebrate my 30th birthday and to volunteer at the Passion Conference) could not have come at a better time. We have been worn out and most definitely were in need of some refreshment!

We made our way from Georgia to Mississippi to stay the night w/ Candice and Scott and see their two precious little ones....(Bella pictured below). Candice is one of my dearest friends...she is one that will always be there to listen to me and pray for me...I am so very blessed to have her in my life




Before leaving Mississippi, we were able to have a hilarious lunch with my precious friend Lindsey Smith (who, by the way, is incredibly talented and has a CD that is soon to be released) and her boyfriend. Sadly, I was laughing so hard I forgot to take a pic. :(

We then headed to Texas!!!! Once there, we met my amazing friend Amie for some fajhitas at Pappasito's (one of our favorite places)...



Amie and I met on our grad school tour...and became fast friends once the semester began. I l-o-v-e this girl for many reasons...some of which include her adventurous spirit, love of music, and her ability to have fun doing the most mundane things. Every time I talk to her on the phone or see her, she brightens my day. So thankful for Amie (and thankful she let us crash at her pad during our stay)!!

The next day was a big day for me...my 30th birthday!! I assumed earlier this year that I would be sad on this (slighly monumental) day...but, I that wasn't the case. I felt so blessed that I was able to spend the day surrounded by my husband and some of my best friends. The day basically centered around food and shopping (what more could a girl ask for?!)...Starting with breakfast at Mimi's Cafe w/ Amie, Courtney, and Cici while Warren and Logan played golf...


Then we met Warren and Kendra for lunch at Panera...




We had dinner at a new Mexican Restaraunt in downtown Fort Worth...



...Then walked a couple of blocks over to have dessert on the rooftop at The Reata...


(We are so thankful to have Logan and Cici in our lives. Warren and Logan are cousins, but I *love* that the four of us our good friends. We share special memories together as we dated, were engaged, and married all around the same time. I'm so exicted that their 2nd child is due in September!)


(Above are some of my dearest friends from grad school...love each one of them!)

The next two three days were spent volunteering at the Passion Conference...it was such an amazing experience to see almost 10,000 college students gathering to worship and grow in their faith...


(by the way...see if you can count how many times I wore this gray and white cardigan! ha! I bought it when we arrived in Texas and it came in handy as I had not packed for the somewhat chilly weather we experience once there)


Amie, Amber, and I in the "Go Center" where students were able to give towards translating scripture into the heart language of a people group in Mali.






Courtney is "my person." She is one of my very best friends. You know that friend that knows your most terrible of thoughts and actions, yet loves you the same?!...this is Courtney. She is one of my biggest encouragers and prayer warriors. We can be laughing our heads off one minute and having the most serious of conversations the next...that is what I love about our friendship! She is such an amazing person and I am blessed to have her in my life.


After Passion was over, I was able to have breakfast with an amazing young woman...


...Martha was in 8th grade when I was a youth intern at a church in Fort Worth. Now she is a sophmore in college at TCU (yes...I feel old). What an beutiful person she is, on the inside and out! I was so thankful to be able to spend time with her!

We then had lunch at Joe T Garcias...which is where Warren and I had our first date and where he took me for lunch the day he proposed.


What sweet memories!!! I love this man and I'm so very thankful he chose me to be his wife!





The next morning I had a "good bye" breakfast with Courtney at La Madeline (another favorite Texas spot)...


(quiche lorraine and a fruit tart...so yummy)

(there is that gray and white cardigan again) :)

On our way out of Texas we stopped at another favorite spot that we don't have nearby...Chipotle!



Whew! Congratulations if you made it through this extremely long update! Besides volunteering at Passion, our trip was centered around friends and food...two of our favorite things. On our way home, we were able to stop and see Tiffanie and Mike (another best friend from college) in Louisianna. Tiffanie and Mike are also pursuing domestic adoption and it was such a blessing to be able to spend a little bit of time with them.

After a couple of long and challenging months in our adoption journey, it was so nice to get away, to be refreshed, and spend time with some of our best friends. When we are in the middle of a trial, it is so easy to allow that difficulty to consume us...and it is often so hard to keep an eternal perspective...to focus on what God has done and what he will do. This trip was a reminder of God's goodness to us. He is near to us and He has blessed us with so much. We are grateful....and continue to rest in Him...


5 comments:

  1. It looks and sounds like it was incredibly refreshing for you. I am so glad you got to do all that and see some wonderful friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all your comments about the grey and white cardigan! :) After seeing pictures of Texas, Im ready to get out of "Smallbany"! Trip soon?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great trip for you! I'm so glad you had so much fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jill, you are a girl after my own heart. My husband and I are now a couple weeks away from approval for adoption. We're headed home to TX this summer, and I'm sure we will hit Joe T's, as it is my husband's all time favortie place to eat. Our trips to TX also revolve around food and hitting all the places we can't get in Michigan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you guys had a great time! Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete